Accounting I - The Chart of Accounts
This active learning center is a chart of accounts based on the company we are using in our Accounting I textbook. I outlined each account with it's corresponding account number and then made columns titled "Account Classification", "Normal Account Balance", "Increase Side, Debit/Credit" and "Decrease Side, Debit/Credit".
I decided to create this active learning center after our Chapter 2 exam when most everyone in the class had points deducted from the test because they did not complete the chart of accounts correctly. Students did not know at exam time if an account had a debit or credit normal account balance or if an account should be debited or credited if we want to decrease it.
During one of our class periods, I reviewed the information with the students and then had them complete the chart for each account one account at a time. If they were unsure of an answer or needed additional help, participation from the class was encouraged (but only if asked or needed).
The students responded well to the activity especially since we have some high achievers in the class who do not like getting points off an exam. I believe this activity gave them the opportunity to think through the concepts, remember what an accounts normal account balance is, and be able to analyze and to correctly identify if an account should be debited or credited depending if we want to increase or decrease the account balance.
As a summary review, without looking at the chart of accounts, I completed a formative assessment by asking specific questions about certain accounts to select members of the class. All answers were correct. In addition, since accounting is a course where you have to build on prior knowledge, students grasped the concepts of Chapter 3 and have continued to apply debits and credits correctly to accounts.
Brenda, what a great learning center! Accounting can be such a difficult skill to master. Just like you said, if the background knowledge is faulty, the students will never be able to excel in the class.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of this board in general. The interactive format would help various types of learners while supporting previously learned knowledge from the exam. I'm sure the students were thrilled for a change of pace in Accounting too! Good job :)