While I want to use the 'maybe' stance on this issue...I cannot. Therefore, I am going to take the position that I do not believe it is a good idea to use cell phone in the high schools to augment our lessons. I offer the following reasons:
1. With advanced Web 2.0 tools and other technological tools available to classroom teachers, I do not believe it is necessary to use cell or smart phones in the classroom. Even if the classroom is not a computer lab, most schools have computer carts that are readily available to use with students. Teachers can use online polling, education friendly social networking sites, and clicker systems to engage the students through technology without using cell phones.
2. I also believe that students in my school district have a distinct understanding of when and where it is appropriate to use cell phones. Our district policy states students are allowed to have the cell phones with them at all times during the school day but are prohibited from using them. While I have only been in my district for a short time, I have had very few problems with students using their cell phones inappropriately. With that said, some of them are very sly and may appear that they are reaching into their bags for a pencil, calculator, etc when in fact they may be checking their phone but it was not visible or outwardly disrupting the class. I believe if students are given the opportunity to use phones openly in the classroom that several students may abuse the privilege. I also believe it would be very hard to monitor and correct the unwanted behavior.
3. Finally, there are several students in my classes who have expressed openly that they do not own a cell phone. If I were to use this technology in my classroom, I believe it would be the schools' responsibility to supply students with the device we were using if they did not own a cell or smart phone. At an age when so much comparison continues to exist, I fear this may potentially widen the social economical divisions. Additionally, I need to consider any cell phone texting and calling fees that may apply to the user. Are families going to approve of these additional charges or expect the school to pay for them?
Hey Brenda, I am curious to know why you were going to take the "maybe" stance if allowed to. I was going to do the same.
ReplyDeleteI would like to say maybe because I believe in certain circumstances, with certain classes or certatin students that cell phones for learning could be very useful and engaging to students. I think they could also be used as a differienting tool...some students might complete a project or conduct research with cell phones, some would complete using the computer, some would complete using the 'old fashioned' find a book in the library way.
ReplyDelete