Monday, April 11, 2011

Learning Center II

Career Prep Class





If you would like to access the site, please sign in as a student using Group Access Code of 82r4jg


For my Career Prep class, I created an Edmodo account that we have been using pretty much since the first few weeks of the semester. The students have really enjoyed accessing the site on a daily class basis to review new posts, answer polls, complete assignments and send messages.



I have used this site to post web page access to the SAT Question of the Day, the ACT Question of the Day, post a link to jobs in Synder County, the FAFSA form, the Common Application, a list of colleges in the Mid Atlantic region (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland, etc) and their scheduled spring Open House Events, sample resumes and resume writing tips, cover letter examples and thank you note examples.



All of these sites have augmented what I have taught in the classroom and have enhanced the students ability to understand and apply the concepts of several areas of career preparation. Since career goals can be very varied and differ from student to student, this social networking site has provided additional information for students who desire to learn more or need additional assistance with class assignments.



For our most recent assignment on writing thank you notes, I provided two 'how to' sites that discussed the procedures for completing a thank you note. I then posted a mock thank you note card that each student was to access and complete. Students were also provided with paper copies of sample thank you notes for those who may prefer the written type. I also added a mini poll to this assignment to assess how the students' felt about handwriting a note versus keying it. The results are interesting!



I have been able to assess how well the students have learned from this active learning center by observing their answers to the SAT and ACT Questions of the Day and I have helped several students register for the May 7 SAT exam through the link on our site. I have also posted questions and asked for responses from the students at the completion of an assignment. For example, I asked students to send me a note on what Open House event they might try to attend this spring after looking at the online Spring Open House website and have followed up with students in class to ask them how their visit was to a particular college.



I plan to continue to use our Edmodo site through the end of the semester to post additional information on topics we will discuss in class and useful sites students can use in their career development and preparation. Overall the comments from the students and the results of using the site have been very positive. I am thrilled they can actively learn more about colleges and careers through this social networking site.

3 comments:

  1. Brenda,
    Awesome learning center. Did your students love how similar it is to Facebook? I really enjoyed seeing how Edmodo allows students to participate in social networking based around education. It also seems very user friendly.
    Thank you for posting the login information as well. It was great being able to look around and experience your class site.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda,
    Great job, great topics!!!! I love the online format, since it extends beyond the classroom and is much more comprehensive!!! I really like your layout as well, appealling and easy to navigate. I agree with Sarah that it looks like FB and I am sure the kids loved that!!!!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda, this is awesome. I totally agree with Erin and Sarah.. getting students involved with social networking in the classroom. I kind of use diigo for the same reason. I didn't get to look deep into your classroom website but from what I saw, you chose great topics, everything is well organized, and easy to find/work with. I will definitely keep this in mind for the future in the own classroom. Great job!

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete